The State of New Jersey has implemented a point system for moving violations, where drivers receive points on their licenses for each violation committed.
These points not only affect a driver’s license but also their insurance rates. If a driver accumulates too many points within a certain period, they may face surcharges on top of fines and penalties.
The NJ Surcharge is essentially an additional fee that drivers have to pay for certain traffic violations in addition to the fines and penalties imposed by the court. This surcharge is meant to encourage safe driving habits and discourage reckless behavior on the roads.
Some of the common offenses that may lead to a NJ surcharge include:
- DUI or DWI
- Reckless driving
- Speeding over 15 mph above the limit
- Driving without insurance
- Failure to maintain insurance
- Driving with a suspended license
- Failure to appear in court or pay fines
NJ Surcharge can also be imposed for the accumulation of points on a driver’s license. If a driver accumulates 6 or more points within 3 years, they will be charged $150 plus $25 for each additional point.
How To Pay NJ Surcharge Payment Online in NJ
Paying the New Jersey (NJ) Surcharge online is a straightforward process. Here are the steps in bullet points:
- Access the NJ Surcharge Website: Visit the official NJ Surcharge website, accessible through the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission’s (MVC) page or a direct surcharge payment portal.
- Go to the Payment Section: On the website, find the section or link for making online payments.
- Enter Required Information: You will need to input specific information to access your surcharge record. This might include:
- Driver’s license number
- Surcharge number
- Judgment number
- Installment payment plan number
- Social Security Number (last four digits)
- Review Your Surcharge Details: Once you’ve entered your information, your surcharge details will be displayed.
- Choose Payment Method: Select your preferred method of payment. Most portals accept major credit/debit cards and sometimes e-checks.
- Enter Payment Details: Input your payment details, such as credit/debit card information or bank account details for an e-check.
- Verify and Confirm Payment: Double-check the payment amount and details. Confirm the payment.
- Receipt and Confirmation: After the payment is processed, you will receive a confirmation, often both on-screen and via email. Save this confirmation for your records.
- Check Updated Status: In some cases, it may be wise to revisit the site after a few days to ensure your payment has been processed and your surcharge status updated.
- Contact Customer Service for Issues: If you encounter any problems or discrepancies, contact NJ MVC’s customer service for assistance.
Alternative Surcharge Payment Methods are listed below:-
- Credit Card
- Online Payment System
- Mail-in payment
- Check or Money Order
- In-person at the MVC office
- Phone payments with approved providers
- Automatic payments through approved providers
By understanding how the NJ Surcharge works and taking advantage of alternate payment methods, you can make sure your surcharge is paid on time and avoid any further complications or penalties.